First of all, I would like to thank you for setting up http://www.steadymarriages.com for people like us who are divorced and need emotional support.
Married for 5 years.
Officially divorced in June this year; no kids.
Mutual agreement that I pay my wife $30,000 (lump sum) and subsequent monthly maintenance of $250.
My wife is living in Malaysia (JB) and is travelling to and fro Singapore for work.
My finances are tighter (no OT and currently studying a part time course)
Basic less than 2k.
I would like to reduce the monthly maintenance but am lost on how to apply to the court.
Able to advise or provide me a website/link?
I tried to google but no avail. (the only thing I find is the link on how to enforce maintenance and not reduce it: http://app.subcourts.gov.sg/family/page.aspx?pageid=3771)
Many thanks and regards
Philip (not his real name)
He needs to file a summons and an affidavit. In his summons he has to state that he wants to vary the order of court from paying $250.00 per month to a lower sum.
In his affidavit he needs to explain why he needs to vary the order of court for maintenance. He has to explain in his affidavit that his financial circumstances have now changed and he would not be able to provide $250.00 per month. He needs to tabulate his monthly expenses as accurately as possible to show the court that he cannot afford to pay $250.00 per month.
After the summons and the affidavit have been filed in court and after the summons is returned to him with the hearing date, copies of the same must be served on his ex-wife. His ex-wife may file an affidavit to reply to the affidavit that he has filed in court.
At the hearing the court will than decide whether given the circumstances stated in his affidavit and the ex-wife’s affidavit it is reasonable to vary the maintenance order to a lower sum.
- Divorced French permanent resident facing parental alienation and high maintenance payment
- Divorced man has to pay $1,800 maintenance to children and wife but denied custody access
- Unemployed man checking on downward variation of maintenance payment of $700 a month for daughter
- Retrenched divorced director earning $16,000 asking for downward variation of $5000/month maintenance
- Recently divorced man suffering from maintenance payment woes and feeling suicidal
- Divorced Muslim father inquiring on maintenance issue for child born out of wedlock
- Divorced woman seeking advice on maintenance issue
- Father who have not seen his children for more than 10 years seeking assistance on variation oder for maintenance
- Penniless ex-husband seeking downward variation of $6000/month maintenance for ex-wife on High Court case
- Permanent resident of two kids received PPO, made to pay $2000 maintenance and going homeless