Singapore's Support Site For The Divorced
Wednesday October 26th 2016

Divorced man checking on reducing maintenance payment to ex-wife

"Hello Gilbert, It was good. I find that support group helps everyone to feel less alone in their problem. I think that brings a lot of comfort. But at the end of the day, the way to gather strength for the new life and to overcome the fear of what's ahead is to seek within. I got to face the dragon alone as everyone's dragon is different. Each of us has a different story how we got ourselves into such a mess. It's a wake up call to do something about our lives and change old habit patterns." - a support group participant. Our next support group activity commences in December and will continue for 5 consecutive weeks. Please email or if you are keen to join us. We only accept 7 to 8 participants each group so please book early to avoid disappointment. Don't suffer alone - seek help! There is still a life to live after divorce. Gilbert Goh/Founder

Hi Gilbert,

First of all,  I would like to thank you for setting up for people like us who are divorced and need emotional support.

My scenario:-

Married for 5 years.

Officially divorced in June this year; no kids.

Mutual agreement that I pay my wife $30,000 (lump sum) and subsequent monthly maintenance of $250.


My wife is living in Malaysia (JB) and is travelling to and fro  Singapore for work.

My finances are tighter (no OT and currently studying a part time course)

Basic less than 2k.

I would like to reduce the monthly maintenance  but am lost on how to apply to the court.

Able to advise or provide me a website/link?

I tried to google but no avail. (the only thing I find is the link on how to enforce maintenance and not reduce it:

Many thanks and regards

Philip (not his real name)


Reply from our volunteer legal counsel James:
In order to apply for a variation of the maintenance order, Philip would have to engage a lawyer or to do it himself by going to court and seeking assistance at the Family Court Registry.

He needs to file a summons and an affidavit. In his summons he has to state that he wants to vary the order of court from paying $250.00 per month to a lower sum.

In his affidavit he needs to explain why he needs to vary the order of court for maintenance. He has to explain in his affidavit that his financial circumstances have now changed and he would not be able to provide $250.00 per month. He needs to tabulate his monthly expenses as accurately as possible to show the court that he cannot afford to pay $250.00 per month.

After the summons and the affidavit have been filed in court and after the summons is returned to him with the hearing date, copies of the same must be served on his ex-wife. His ex-wife may file an affidavit to reply to the affidavit that he has filed in court.

At the hearing the court will than decide whether given the circumstances stated in his affidavit and the ex-wife’s affidavit it is reasonable to vary the maintenance order to a lower sum.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Blogplay
  • LinkedIn
  • MisterWong
  • MySpace
  • Twitter
  • Yahoo! Bookmarks
  • Add to favorites
  • email
  • Simpy
  • 豆瓣九点
  • blogmarks

Related posts:

  1. Divorced French permanent resident facing parental alienation and high maintenance payment
  2. Divorced man has to pay $1,800 maintenance to children and wife but denied custody access
  3. Unemployed man checking on downward variation of maintenance payment of $700 a month for daughter
  4. Retrenched divorced director earning $16,000 asking for downward variation of $5000/month maintenance
  5. Recently divorced man suffering from maintenance payment woes and feeling suicidal
  6. Divorced Muslim father inquiring on maintenance issue for child born out of wedlock
  7. Divorced woman seeking advice on maintenance issue
  8. Father who have not seen his children for more than 10 years seeking assistance on variation oder for maintenance
  9. Penniless ex-husband seeking downward variation of $6000/month maintenance for ex-wife on High Court case
  10. Permanent resident of two kids received PPO, made to pay $2000 maintenance and going homeless

Reader Feedback

2 Responses to “Divorced man checking on reducing maintenance payment to ex-wife”

  1. Here I am with my morning coffee and an amazing informational article that has taught me something. It’s true that we learn something new everyday. I enjoyed this article. Your views are similar to mine.

  2. arianna says:

    I enjoyed your blog, it reminds me, I was totally talking with my sister about this subject just last night. Ends up she’d been planning on hiring a painting contractor and was worried about the time it takes to research, contact and screen painters, I can totally relate ,that is until she came across this cool website. Simply felt I would contribute it here just in case someone else has no time at all for that work either!

Leave a Reply